Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Southern-Fried Yoga

So, I'm spending some quality time below the Mason-Dixon, specifically in Savannah. I thought I'd mix it up with the Southern folk and work on my slow-as-ass-sludge stroll, my lip-tripping drawl and see how well I do spending time in one of the Reddest states of the Union.

So far, so good.

I've met some great people, witnessed the Lilly Pulitzer/tattoo combo on a few folks and it does work--sort of. Then there's the food. Amazing. Yum. Puts some Chicago cuisine to shame. What I'm most amused by is how sloooow everything is here. People take their sweet ol' time doing the same tasks I do at a break-neck speed. At first this phenom was unsettling to me, but this slowness has made me realize that some things are not worth rushing and it's ok to sit and not do a damn thing for a moment except be in that moment. Huh. Interesting.... Bikram yoga is all about 'being in the moment,' so it looks like I may have learned something during the sweat, stretch and tears.

Ain't that just so damn precious? No, not that Precious. The other precious. No, not that one either. Do I really need to explain what I mean by precious? No? Good.

Yesterday, I checked out Bikram Yoga Savannah and wow--what a beautiful studio. Huge, airy, clean, comfortable--are the best words describe it. Welcoming too. How many studios/gyms/work out places offer free tampons, Witch Hazel wipes and other wonderful sundries? The studio also has those wonderful Kulae yoga mats for sale along with a healthy selection of Lululemon yoga clothes. Plus, water -- both plain and the coconut variety. It's allll good.

What about the actual class?

The room is very similar to my home studio, but Andersonville's is much larger. That makes total sense since there are more students and more classes than the Savannah studio. The instructor, Chris, looked like he was carved out of cream cheese--and I mean that in a good way. There weren't many differences between the instruction I've had in Chicago and Chris' instructions, except during the first part of this pose, where students are encouraged to loosen up their legs by bending their knees while their hands are on the floor in front of them. Once you feel warmed up, or when the instructor tells you to, it's posture time. Then, in round two, you're to go directly into the pose without warming up your legs again. That's not how it's done at the Savannah studio, or with Chris. Perhaps it's de riguer here, I don't know yet--I'll have to take another class with another instructor before I leave to see what he/she does. It's not a big deal, I just wasn't used to it.

During this series, we didn't turn to the left side of the room. Instead, we got off our mats and did these poses on the carpet--in our bare feets--a move that's verboten everywhere else I've practiced.

As I venture out for more of the Savannah good life, I'll leave you with a great tune by Savannah's native son. I look forward to my next round of Bikram here, even if they don't need a heated studio, they can just practice out in the parking lot. Yes, it's that brutally hot here.


1 comment:

  1. Sound like the change of scenery may do you good. Keep up the good work with the yoga and writing this blog.

    ReplyDelete