Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Every breath I take ... I'll be bending better ...

Who knew that breathing would be such a pain in the ass--especially when I'm bending backwards with ass and legs locked up tighter than a nun's poohole, and hips thrust forward like I'm trying to get some Biff Loman type to stuff dollar bills into my g-string at a strip club just outside of Omaha. (Now, there's an image for you.)

The last two classes were all about breathing and listening for me. Not just listening to my body, but really focusing on what the instructor had to say. I've got the whole keep-your-standing-leg-locked-abs-tight-butt-squeezed parts down pat, but the breathing at times really has me flummoxed. It's strange that something as natural and simple as breathing would be a challenge, but it is in Bikram yoga. I think it's safe to assume that breathing is tough for every Bikram practitioner from time to time.

During this pose, I paid attention to my breathing more than bending & looking for the floor behind me (yeah right--like that's gonna happen any time soon). Same here. I don't even want to discuss this pose since it's hard to breathe when your mouf is smashed into your stinky, wet mat. Ouch, and get me an oxygen tank then a Marty's martini macht schnell. What was so great about breathing was the poses got easier and I was able to push myself a little harder and deeper (shut UP) into each pose. That's a huge accomplishment for someone who's lower-back has been giving me fits in the last few years. Now I'm pain-free.

Now, if I could see similar accomplishments in my professional life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment