Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Havin' Fun With No Money

Bikram is the only thing that makes sense in my life at the moment. It's what's saving me from jumping off the Sears Tower or putting on my lead bathing suit and going for a dip in the Chicago River. Everything else is completely out of control--no job, no prospects and no money. I'm on the wrong side of 40 and have nothing to show for it and that's just wrong. It seems that the harder I try to make things better in my life, the worse things get. This is not true with my Bikram practice. Seems that the harder I try, the better at it I get.

Case in point. I rock at this pose. You're probably thinking to yourself, "What the shit, Julia! That doesn't look tough at all! I can do that in my beer-induced sleep!" OK. G'head. Try it, not once, but four times without bending your legs, straightening your elbows or tipping your hips to one side. Then, after you catch your breath, we'll talk and I'll watch you dine on some crow.

Also, I've noticed some significant changes in my body. I look longer. I can't explain it--I just do. And leaner. During one of my nanosecond glances in the mirror today, I noticed these changes and was caught off-guard. Odd. I've also altered my diet quite a bit so the whole 'looking leaner' part ain't a huge surprise I guess. Actually, it's the stress I'm under that has helped to alter my diet--I don't want to eat because I'm not hungry and honestly, I can't quite afford it. So, I'm only eating about one and a half times a day. However, I am drinking copious amounts of coffee and water so that helps me feel full.

Another benefit, and I've mentioned this many a-time before, is how incredible my skin looks. See, I've been blessed with good skin. All of the women in my family have beautiful skin. Guess it's safe to say we're natural beauties. Bikram just makes it look that much better. I don't go out on the town that often but when I do, I don't need a lot of makeup. Just some mascara, a little eyeliner and some great, reddish lipstick on my pout.

Nice to know those Scottish/Northern Brit Isles genes are doing their fucking job. Lord knows my emotional being ain't doing shit for me.

Side note: My favorite Bikram yogini, Lauren, still hasn't given birth. However, she has 'dropped' since the last time I saw her. So, I'm hoping I won't see her in class tomorrow, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. This is for you, new mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment