Monday, June 6, 2011

Kickin' It Up a Notch

I figured out what's missing from my Bikram yoga practice: Running. Yep, running. I'm not getting into shape as quickly as I would like by just doing Bikram so it's time to amp things up. Starting tomorrow morning, I'll start crawling/loping/jogging/running again. My feet feel healthy as does my back so I'm ready.

I've been a sorta-runner on and off for years now, and I do enjoy it very much. It's difficult, frustrating and tiring--just like yoga. However, it gets the heart beating quicker and is better for "leaning one down" than any other exercise out there. Plus, I dig the idea of beating my body up by jogging and then going to yoga to stretch everything out again. The plan is to do Bikram everyday, and crawl/lope/jog/run about 3-5 times a week.

Start slow--that's the plan. My eating will have to change once again, but that's fine. I don't fear change at all--just clowns, carnies, lentils, tofu and Chico's. Perhaps I'll see our disgraced former governor jogging too, but he's a little busy these days, see. He lives in my 'hood and I've had the pleasure of witnessing him pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down a few times down my street. He looked very uncomfortable but his hair didn't--even in the light breeze. I was mesmerized. Still am at times too--when I need to calm the screaming in my soul, I think of Blago's hair--the stillness of it. The peace.

Reminds me of how I find stillness and peace in my yoga practice.

But for some odd reason, all of this Blago talk reminded me of this great tune.


2 comments:

  1. Fine time to start thinking about jogging...two words=heat stroke. Take it easy darllling. =) As for the diet change, consider the blood type diet. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear ya. i can't jog anymore because it feels like it weakens my joints & definitely tightens everything up. yoga will hurt a lot more if you begin running. i bike downtown so i don't have to run but i'm still fatter than i want to be. yoga does not make me lose weight. i have to starve myself. {{sigh}} to be old with a slow metabolism....best of luck! it will be fun to read your journey as usual

    ReplyDelete