Tuesday, May 3, 2011

99, 98, 97, 96 ... or "Pain is the gift that nobody wants."

Ninety-nine passed by with little or no discomfort. I did have some post-Bikram gas pains though which forced me to gulp down a couple handfuls of Tums. That stuff's nasty too, but it works. One thing I've noticed about post-Bikram class is I have to force myself to eat. The hunger is not there for about 6 hours after class and even then, I have to psych myself up to make a salad. However, I am thirsty, so I drink copious amounts of water--an act that has never been a problem for me at all.

Class 98 was not fun. Not at all. I was thirstier than usual even though I drink more than enough water when not in class. The attempts to quell my thirst with breathing (which is what Bikram suggests students do before hitting the bottle), weren't successful at all, so I was sucking down water during the floor portion of the class. Then, the pesky lower back pain on my right side just above my hip resurfaced during the final savasana. However, I think that has more to do with how I sit during the day and where I sit--on a couch that doesn't provide much lumbar support. The thing is, I need a proper desk and one of them fancy Aeron chairs that's made from Aeron virgins. Then, my back issues will disappear. But, before I can obtain these necessary objects, I need to get a job. Believe me, I'm trying but to no avail. And, of course, I can't get my unemployment & financial woes out of my head when I'm in class. It ain't gonna happen no matter how hard I try.

Number 97 made me feel old and rickety. Jessica taught this class and while I was in this pose, she said something that still resonates with me to this day and it's something I'll never forget: "Pain is the gift that nobody wants." If you feel pain, that means you're alive (duh) and your body is telling you something. In this instance, I imagine that Jessica was alluding to how fucking much your arms hurt during this particular pose--like your arms are gonna snap in two with blood and ick spraying everywhere. By the way, I suck shit at Lotus pose. The single leg poses I can do without a hitch, but the double leg like the picture? Nope. I can maybe lift my gams up about 4 inches but that's it. It's still not as difficult as this pose or this one. I find it hard to believe the woman demo'ing Half-Moon in the photo was smiling. I'll bet she has some sort of epidural plugged into her back helping her get through it all.

But, with the way I'm going, this will be me in about 20 years. Hooker boots and all.

When I woke up this morning, I felt the best I've felt in months. My lower-back didn't hurt and my knees didn't creak at all. Also, my vision wasn't as blurry as it is most mornings. No Ambien hangover, no wishing I were somewhere OR someone else. Strange. I ate my Greek yogurt with home-made granola and slurped down coffee doused with the best stuff on Earth. Then, after a couple of hours, I donned my yoga apparel and moseyed on over to the studio. While getting ready in the ladies' locker room, I overheard two young women bitching about how much they hated the new Land Rover. And, how the new Rolexes aren't all that. Seriously, my eyes are still hurting from all the eye rolling I did during that 10 minute conversation. Sure I could've left, but why? These gals provided me with GREAT material! I could go on and on about what they were griping about, but it would just depress the shit out you. But trust me when I say this: The rich are different than us.

Onto to number 96. I had a good class. Very good. Some poses I sat out but for the most part, the poses that have been vexing me in the past, I could do. And, more importantly, there was no slurping water or searing back pain. My back felt strong & bendy during it all. I even laughed a bit when I knocked my neighbor's paw during this pose.

The best of the class? When the instructor farted during an explanation then admitted to it. Totally made my day.

8 comments:

  1. OMG I love Level 42 (last post for those who think I'm insane). I know we were meant to be best friends in a former life, Jules. :))

    Oops, I meant this one.

    Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel! 'Walk In the Snark' CRACKS ME UP EVERY DAMN TIME I READ IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. violet beauregardMay 4, 2011 at 12:02 AM

    i always wondered about that crazy thirst. sometimes i could practically make the whole class with just a few tiny sips and other times, gulping. maybe as you work thru the countdown you'll have some insights. i remember reading on a sf site, that a lot of the teachers there, discourage students from drinking or any extra movement as it distracts from the practice. thanks julia. keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks violet! I will. I am sick today so no yoga. I'll make up for it though by doing a double soon.

    I 'find my stillness' between poses but I do need my water. Granted, I don't drink nearly as much as when I first started practicing (used to have 2 bottles, now only one & i drink maybe 3/4 of it). I think it's foolish for anyone to discourage consuming liquids during something so vigorous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i gave hot yoga an open-minded "go" about 3 years ago but the heat just wasn't my thing. and the smell of other people was distracting. if the teacher farted in that hot room, i'm pretty sure i might have vomited in my mouth.

    it is, however interesting reading someone elses experience with it. best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm enjoying your blog. i always smie while reading. keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jules-the reason you aren't supposed to drink water during yoga is because you are purifying your organs with heat & the second you drink water, you put out the fire. it also can give you cramps during postures & bring on nausea. it is best to wait until it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. meh...i don't believe that crap-puff about purifying your organs. I don't gulp water, I just sip it.

    ReplyDelete