Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I've been listening to a lot of Level 42 lately, partly because Mark King is an incredible bass player AND has an unusual voice. It has character, depth because it's not perfect. Sure, the songs I've been listening to are from the late 80s, but they're interesting musically--it's obvious the band members knew what they were doing--have had some type of musical training--not like the synthesised crap you hear today with singers over singing every fucking note just to show they have range. It ain't range--it's called shouting


So, how does all of this relate to Bikram? In class today, the teacher mentioned how Bikram yoga tends to bring out all of your imperfections and there's nothing wrong with that. For some reason, Level 42's "Something About You" popped into my foggy, sweaty brain when he uttered those words, mainly these lyrics: 
But making mistakes
Is a part of life's imperfections
Born of the years
Is it so wrong
To be human after all...


Then, the rest of the song made its way through my mind during Standing Bow: 
Drawn into the stream
Of undefined illusion
Those diamond dreams
They can't disguise the truth... 


The truth that it's gonna take years to get my Bikram practice to a place where I'm no longer embarrassed to fall out of poses that I should be able to hold because of my freakish Gray family strength and years of being a springboard diver. Being a diver for so long gave me an incredible sense of balance and flexibility until I was diagnosed with vertigo about 20 years ago--even though by the time of the diagnoses, diving was no longer a part of my life. My balance hasn't been the same since, however, Bikram has returned it a lot of it back to me. The undefined illusion of Bikram is that no matter how old you are, or how rigid your life/body has become, you can be born again by partaking in Bikram. It's a tool for living, an added bonus for those who've discovered and relish in its benefits. 

Even the most seasoned Bikram folks have shitty days when their minds and bodies ain't cooperating. There's not much that can be done when that happens--just power through and not get down & out on yourself. 

Just remember what the song says: 
Gone, fragile but free
We remain tender together
If not so in love
It's not so wrong
We're only human after all...



No comments:

Post a Comment